Sunday, February 1, 2009

Shabbat Shalom

MY FIRST SHABBAT IN ISRAEL.
      My Shabbat could have been an array of words, but remarkable seems to be most fitting. While, to be honest, I did not like the version of prayers the Rabbi had chosen (it was a mix of USY-type melodies in addition to a monotonous tone which made it hard to join in and stay awake after the exhausting day), it meant something unbearably emotionally moving to me. It was my first holy day in the holy land. The day of rest, the day I couldn't wait for since I had arrived in Israel, which was met by my busy and full schedule.
      My typical day, which most of you probably do not know even now, consists of waking up and running at 6 before anyone is awake (with the exception of a few of the working kibbutzniks), then showering and getting ready to go to breakfast at 8. On the "normal" days, we go to class from 8:30am to 7:00pm with my classes going: hour of hebrew, three of jewish studies, general studies periods 1 & 2 off (which in that case I eat lunch, do homework, and/or relax), then carry on my day with an hour of math, followed by chemistry. On Tuesdays and Sundays, I have english class, so in that case I have English during general studies periods 5, which leaves period 6 off for doing that days homework.
     People might think 3 to 4 periods off is a lot of time off, however, what time isn't spent studying or doing homework or some other miscellaneous activity, I'm writing this blog (yeah.. which can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, figuring out what I really want to say in as little as possible), and taking a much needed mental break (usually playing with Twitch; but i'll talk about her in a later blog =] ). Shabbat is clearly the day for rest... and on this trip, I'm really beginning to see the importance of it in both a religious and practical sense. 
     In brief words, after the Kotel we went back to Tzuba and had services in the Belmont. We then had free time until curfew, which was extended by two hours to 1AM. I decided not to run yesterday morning (Saturday) and sleep in. Then, yesterday, we had services which were hilarious. The melodies which were much more upbeat and enjoyable were followed by an actual debate!!! The Rabbi was seeking an interactive service, calling us to do various things, as well as answer questions as if we were in class. I loved how we turned a simple time for prayer into a time of praying, learning, understanding, exploring, and questioning what we were being told. This service became a communal time to share thoughts on midrash and verse (even extremely & openly disagree with) the Rabbi, simply by answering his questions by posing a different argument. I still continue to smile, thinking about the full blown debate the room got into. It was definitely a service not to be forgotten. 
     For the rest of the day we relaxed  and then around 7:30 held a mini song session where OSRUI and Eisner (URJ Camp) traditions clashed. It was nice seeing both sides of the tradition, but I'll stick to Eisner's upbeat jumping/dancing song session versus OSRUI's sitting down song session any day. Soon after, Havdalah was held. It was SO nice, and relaxing. Havdalah has always been my favorite service, but this one was obviously special. We went to Ben Yahuda street after Havdalah. We went shopping, and I got the best shwarma ever! It was delicious! 
     Today, classes were great, I can not say again how much I love my classes. I have a feeling this semester will be all about learning, and little about grades... I'm excited to go to school for once! But, I have to admit It's hard getting used to the fact that there is school Sunday through Thursday, versus Monday through Friday! I keep thinking today is Monday! haha, Well, that was my last thought for this blog seeing as it is getting unnusually long,
Hope I'll have something to talk about tomorrow's tiyul! 

2 comments:

  1. Bekah-
    I enjoy your long blogs, the more info, the better (i think)
    please don't hesitate to write everything down (i at least will appreciate it even if everyone else does not!)
    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do me a favor....eat LOTS of felafel. I miss it so much!!

    ReplyDelete