Sunday, February 22, 2009

Highest Light, Lowest Point

     Can I even begin to tell you about the beauty I have witnessed over the last three days? I don't think I can; a thousand words aren't even worth the vastness of all of my photos. Even my hundreds of photos can't begin to express all of the gorgious places I have witnessed.
    Four days ago (2/19) we left Kibbutz Tzuba, packed for ten days, and went to Jerusalem 20 minutes away. There, we were of our Jewish History South Wall Excavation Tiyul, and learned more about the Second Beit Hamikdash and King Herod. I also came to learn the Kotel wasn't the only remanent of the Second Beit Hamikdash platform. The Kotel, also named the Western Wall, had its counterpart on the South side, were other parts of the sacred temple's wall remained uncovered. In fact, it is believed the entire platform remains pretty much unscathed, just buried and covered. In the afternoon, we loaded the buses and headed to the Negev Desert. Watching the sandy doons cover the land until horizon, we finally saw the city of Jericho. Although we did not enter it, It looked pretty cool. A little after passing by Jericho, we had a short pit stop and then a little after the pit stop got to our Youth Hostel. 
     3:45 my alarm goes off on Feburary 20th and by five we are ascending Mitzadah (Masada). Hiking up Mitzadah was no 'walk in the park' by any standard! After reaching the top of it, watching the sunrise, I decided the agony of climbing it was well worth it. Followed by pictures of our feat, we began a short prayer service and an American/Israeli group joined us. At this point, the sunrise became the focus point behind the leaders of the service. Followed by a four to five hour tour of Mitzadah, I learned there was much more there than I had previously thought. Figuring it would be a small little plateau, I was met by an entire palace with Hellenistic bathhouses, village, and fort! From Herod's North Palace, we overlooked the Dead Sea and desert. From the Southern fort, we shouted "for a second time Masada will never fall," which echoed across the mountainous desert. Our teacher made a point to shout this because as he put it, "Never again will Jews will have to choose among fighting to certain death, slavery (in turn with loosing their identity), or suicide." To ensure this philosophy, Tzahal (Israel Defense Force) was created not only for Israel, but for the protection of Jews in the diaspora. More yet,  in the coming days, EIE was going to become apart of this assurance.  
      The very same morning at 9:30, with an entire day ahead of us, we descended from Mitzadah. With the afternoon approaching, the Dead Sea was next on our agenda of places to visit. Reaching the lowest point of the world, we listened to the instructions, rules, and other affairs of security, and as quickly as possible ran to our new hostel rooms and then made our way to the Dead Sea. Although a bit chilly, I was the first kid from EIE to run in and go as far in as it took to float! Despite the temperature, I was still surprised to see everyone hardly in the water with me already 30 meters from the shoreline. I eventually saw my sister jump in, and then my friends, and then soon most of us were in. It only took half an hour for us to all run back to shore, and cover ourselves in dead sea mud. Getting dirty and then cleaning off, I decided to go back for a swim... or in this case a nice float!
     I was looking at the panorama of Israel and Jordan from where I was in the Dead Sea. All I could think to myself was how beautiful the Dead Sea was, and its surroundings were. I soon came to realize a cute phrase I had heard the previous week couldn't be truer! It does seem like we are living in a postcard.
     Day two of the Dead Sea wasn't any less fun! Omitting it was pretty cold outside, I played off the day as if it was any summer day at a beach... only this beach was special. My friend and I were the only two willing to jump into the freezing sea and float around. Just talking and admiring the gorgeous scenery, having races of who could swim the farthest (which ended up with salt in our eyes), and relaxing, we spent a good 40 minutes in the Dead Sea. Funny story... we were admiring the scenery even though it was REALLY foggy. We were looking around until we realized we could see Jordan better then the invisible Israeli beach!!! We actually almost hit the land bridge indicating we nt only floating way out, but also way off north too! It took us twenty minutes to half swim/half float back to the beach, but it was so much fun... I think it was worth it. We got back to shore, entered the spa where almost all of the EIE-ers seemed to be! Hanging out there for a while (there was a heated pool of salty sea water and a sauna) I decided to go back. Also being yom shabbat, as the sun set we all headed to the beach. Holding Havdalah to close Shabbat and start the new week here, I couldn't think of a more perfect place to hold my favorite service! It was beautiful. 
      Today starts a new day, a new experience, but more specifically Gadna! Gadna is a program for high schoolers to learn what to expect in basic training for their military service, as well as experience real military service. Im very, very excited and hope it will be a great experience.I seem to be the only girl REALLY excited for Gadna.... let's see if I survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment