Friday, January 30, 2009

Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh

      As our first Israeli Shabbat approached, we did our first tzadaka (justice, literally charity) project this morning! We went to Hazon Yishaya, a humanitarian network hosting 60 soup kitchens in Israel, and I believe the biggest soup kitchen in Jerusalem. I first worked in the kitchens, helping to peel potatoes... what seemed to be tons worth, with about 20 other Gadeem members. Then, I moved to the serving line, and helped the people one on one. I have to say this soup kitchen was NOTHING like the one I work at home, SHIP. This one was massive serving thousands of meals a day, and providing bagged breakfasts and lunch. It also provided education for adults and children, as well a dental and day care services. This place was massive.
      We arrived back at Tzuba and all of us went to straighten up our rooms for shabbat. We then had to get ready for our visit at the Kotel. Finally I managed to put together an outfit together comprising of other people's clothing, I was ready to visit the place I had been awaiting for years. 
     On the bus, I wrote my note I planned on putting in the wall and continued taking photos. This was the first time I was in Jerusalem aside from the morning, but it happened to be my first time in the old city as well. I took photos non-stop until the sunset starting Shabbat. As I approached the Kotel, I couldn't imagine I was really there. I walked up admiring the praying women on our side of the divider. I reached up, and touched the wall with my hands and could feel the warmth protruding from the wall. It was bitter outside, so feeling the warmth of the wall was an incredible sensation on my hands and in my heart. Soon, I was surrounded by fellow EIE members, and I couldn't feel the cold; only comforting warmth. After praying for a bit, I tried placing my note in the wall, but every crack and crevice was stuffed full at my height, so I asked someone taller next to me to reach up and place my note in one of the only spots open. Walking away from the Kotel, I just couldn't imagine I had touched one of the holiest things in the Jewish world. Now, the Kotel was much smaller than I had imagined, but in NO way less powerful. 

6 comments:

  1. wow bekah
    that is amazing
    it sounds as if you are still having a wonderfull time, and as if you will for the whole semester
    (yes i have decided that from now on i am going to comment on every single installment to this blog even if its just a quick hey there)
    Love you
    continue to have an amazing time in your new home

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoying every word you write of your wonderful adventure. look forward to sharing this trip with you in words. keep enjoying, learning and experiencing. kisses, mema gigi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thank you...
    and no worries Celia, I plan on keeping you guys updated on everything so you not only know what I'm up too... but to get you excited for YOUR trip this coming july

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are having an amazing time. Keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh thank you dear
    i'm already excited just reading about all of the amazingness that is Israel experienced by a friend

    ReplyDelete