Thursday, January 29, 2009

Archeological Dig

     Yesterday, we got assigned our Jewish History class and had a small orientation. In the afternoon, my class (which is now named Gadeed Tomer**) went on our first tiyul (field trip)! We went about 45 minutes south or so, and hiked up gorgeous terrain. First we reached an ancient wine press from the time of the second temple! Then, we visited a Jewish tomb, inspired off of that of the Greeks, from the beginning of the Byzantine Empire. This tomb later became a Christian, then a Muslim tomb, and our guide described the unique changes made which help identify their origins. I found out that they know it was originally Jewish because of the mikvah (ritual bath house) which is unique to our religion, was found there. They could also identify the religion changes because newer crosses and arches signified Christian rule. After the Christians, Muslim were storing their goods in the tombs! I took a bunch of photos of the architecture. 
      Our group backtracked a bit and we went to the archeological dig! During the dig, I went to the back and started on my own. Within a few minutes my hands hit a extremely rough pieces of what I thought was rock, and I continued to dig it up. At the end of the hour, I had uncovered an entire box... about 6 by 12 inches long, and 4 inches deep! It was all metal, and as I was using my hands, I found what I think was burnt charcoal in it. The tour guide was absolutely thrilled to see what I had found, and kept looking over his shoulder wanting to make sure I didn't break it or anything. It looks like I solved the mystery of the broken metal shards uncovered a few feet away. 
     Following the digging, we went into an adjacent cove. This one had tiny tunnels we had to crawl on our hands and knees to fit into. It was the tunnels of Jewish rebels at the end of the Byzantine Empire. In the tunnel we came into a small room; it was barely had enough room for all twelve of us to sit in. The tour guide told us the story of these rebels. They hid in these very same tiny tunnels waiting to storm the Roman army which had invaded. This was  soon obviously unobtainable because of the army's massive size! So the Jewish rebels waited in the tunnels for what they thought would be a few days... maybe a few months at most. They sat in the very same cramped room, for three long years. The tour guide likened it to the cattle cars of the Holocaust. He then explained as soon as the Jews left their tunnels, or if they were discovered, they were all slaughtered. It was tragic history, but to be there where this all happened was.... just wow.
     On the bus ride home, I fell asleep within ten minutes of getting on the bus! I was SO tired! We went back to Tzuba, where we had dinner, had a few more mixers with our bus groups (Gadeed was in the Belmont again), and then I finally got back to my room and relaxed.  
      Today, we got our Hebrew classes and had our first full Jewish History class. Both were extremely easy... but I still fond them interesting. I need to get ready for my general studies now, but I can't wait for tomorrow! We are taking another tiyul tomorrow, but this time to the KOTEL! I am so extremely excited! I have literally dreamed about visiting the holy wall, and now, tomorrow, I will be there!
Leheatraot


**Gadeed which means 'the sweet harvest' is what my bus group is called. Since tomer (dates) are the major product of Gadeed, that's what B.G, our Jewish History teacher, has decided to call our group. 

2 comments:

  1. WOW
    that sounds like so much fun!
    and just amazingly enthrawling!
    HAVE AN AMAZING TIME AT THE KOTEL!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ani rotzeh l'hiyot sham, Bekah!!

    ReplyDelete