Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Count Down- Situation in Gaza

     Today, January 6th, 2009, I only have 19 days until I leave for the holy land. Having been excited for this journey since my brother walked off the plane in 2005, there are no words to describe both the thrill and exasperation knowing Israel is so close yet still just shy of three weeks off. 
    Most of my family, friends, and teachers, have been excited for me to embark on this journey of a life time, but so many are also nervous, afraid, and even timid when bringing up the situation in Gaza. 
     In the last week of december/first week in January, Israel finally invaded Gaza. I mention finally, because to summarize the situation to the best of MY knowledge, the situation plays out as such:
     Despite a tahadiya (ceasefire) with Gaza, the last seven years have been filled with constant rocket attacks from Gaza, orchestrated by Hamas, into Israel. From a statistic standpoint, more than 600 rockets were fired into Israel over the course of two months and 3,278 rockets and mortar shells were sent into Israel in 2008 alone. Once the tahadiya's course ran out, Israel would not recognize Hamas and their authority in Gaza, just as Gaza wouldn't not recognize Israel as a country. Israel invaded Gaza and is currently seeking out Hamas leaders, whom are responsible for the rockets and quassams (rockets with shrapnel and explosives). Being a major issue in civilian deaths, Israel has been seeking out to protect its civilians, while Hamas hides behind theirs. About four Israeli's have died so far, while Gaza's numbers are reaching into the 600's. Media portraying it as Israel's brutality, many forget it's not so much a choice. While we protect our civilians, Hamas hides behind theirs, causing the situation to elevate where it's either 'us' or 'you'. Reading Israeli and Arab news, it seems that it comes down to the "it's either you or us", and reading American papers it's "whose right, whose wrong, whose worse" and "I agree with THIS side."
     As the above is only to my current knowledge, I wouldn't take my word for all of the information. With this, however, is how I have come to understand the situation in Gaza at the moment. My take on the situation is there is no right nor wrong, no black, no white. I'm just happy that Israel is protecting it's citizens, and I'm terribly upset Hamas is killing their own by hiding behind the innocents which include children.
     Switching back to the journey I'm about to face, I have no fear that I will run into trouble or dangerous situations, with the program I'm on. I'm 100% confident they are able to handle our group and maintain the highest of security which they have so promised. 
     19 Days until the holy land.... just wish the time would fly faster....

4 comments:

  1. omg i loved this! i am so excited for u. and thanks for clearing up what is happening for me. its all realy confusing but u put is way simple. where r u going in israel? like what part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're going to a kibbutz like 10/15 min outside of jerusalem.
    its far enough away from gaza that we'll be fine. but our trip in the muslim area might be cancelled because of this. but at least the whole thing is still on.
    17 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thank you Meredith.
    And Martine basically summed it up.
    Along with living in Kibbutz Tzuba (15 minutes south-west of Jerusalem), we have certain rules such as we are not allowed within 40 kilometers of Gaza's border.
    We are also not allowed to use public transportation.
    There are a number of other safety guidelines set up, to ensure the participant's safety...

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i am sooooo excited for u guyz! lol and im not even going ha! will u pleez write to me?
    plz plz plz
    message me for my address n tell me what urs will be

    ReplyDelete