Friday, February 27, 2009

Eilat

      Sitting in my bed, in a hostle, in Eilat, I can only think about the soft blanket, bed, and clean shower I have acess to. Yesterday ended our five day Gadna adventure. Even though it was out last day, it wasn't our easiest. Waking up, again, at 5:45, we had breakfast shortly after. Starting as an already "typical" Gadna morning, it quickly turned to the abnormal when we walked out of the base to a near by reserve. It was the burial site of David Ben Gurion and his wife. Here is where we held our closing ceremony.
      After the ceremony, we headed back to the base and returned our uniforms, blankets, sleeping bags, and mattresses. At lunch, we sat down by the basketball court were we held all our formal ceremonies, aside from the closing one. Here is when we finally got to know our Mfakedet. I learned she was only 18 years old! We also FINALLY learned her name after this long week of only referring to her as "commander." She also told us we were her 12th group, first one from abroad, and the hardest group to not bond with over the week! She really liked us! She called us the best group (or at least she hinted at it by calling us "perfect"). Humorously, she invited to facebook her (after hearing ALL week about what photos and such we are putting on facebook! haha). She also gave us her e-mail to keep in contact with her! Getting on the bus to leave Gadna, was actually saddening, but, no lie, I couldn't WAIT to take a shower!
       We arrived in Eilat in the afternoon, but only after visiting a kibbutz known for their dairy products & ice cream. We quickly aquatinted ourselves with our hostile rooms, and did I forget to mention SHOWERS?! Haha, we all showered and basked in the glory of all that is clean! We met up in the chadar ochel, and then when to the mall/boardwalk nearby. It was a gorgeous boardwalk on the Red Sea, and I had a lot of fun.
     Today, wake up was at the lovely time of 7:30. Also, the breakfast WASN'T nutella and stale bread! How great could life be? We headed to the beach on the Red Sea after a short presentation on coral reefs. I went snorkeling for the first time here! It was also the first time I have ever seen a coral reef in person! It was gorgeous, but with this I was also gravely disappointed. I could physically see the affects of human interaction. Not trash, but, you could see a majority of the coral reef (they said about 68%) dead. I'm happy I saw this reef, but It also made me consious about human affects on our planet. After spendning a little more time on the beach, we came back to the Eilat Hostel, and wait for it.... I took another shower! After my second lovely shower since Gadna, we went back outside and I went boardwalk window shopping. 
       The Sabbath coming in tonight, we held a service, like every other Friday night. This one was a little more unique though. At the end of the service, the leader started playing the songs with much more ruach and before we knew it we started to break out into a long song session! It was a blast. WELL, I have to go to bed because boy am I exaughisted! I'll get a great eight hours in this soft, soft, clean, good-smelling bed! Lilah Tov!

1 comment:

  1. that ice cream place. is like actually my favorite place ever. we stopped there three times cause it was so good, and one of the times it was like 11 at night haha!

    adara

    ReplyDelete