Monday, April 20, 2009

Yom HaShoah

      As the sun falls behind the landscape, as noon becomes dusk and then dark, we start a new day in the Jewish world... יום השואה. The day to remember the Holocaust, where the world lost millions of innocents. Persecuted for faith, belief, or simply just senseless hatred, we lost our families, our friends, and our humanity by sitting by idly. Hopefully we won't forget, but like the Bar Kochva Revolt and numerous other massacres and tragedies faced by Jewry, things get lost...
    Tonight I attended a ceremony held by the Kibbutz, and then one by EIE. Whether in Hebrew or in English, and even bits of German, I felt the same no matter what. I could feel the despair and hopelessness from the time, and the hope and fear for the future. Things like that never get lost in translation. 

     I'm not sure what to think about the Holocaust. I was sitting in Auschwitz a mere 14 days ago. That very morning I was in Birkenau. A few days prior, I was walking through Majdonek. I don't know what to think yet. Sixty years of history being able to mull itself over, I have yet just begun the task to think and explore, in addition to attempt at understanding what took place. I guess it could be seen as wasting time; just thinking about it and trying to figure out complex details and innumerable accounts... but sometimes I feel just remembering is enough. Or at least on today, Yom HaShoah, remembering is good enough for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment