Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pride

     I have been meaning to share about my last tiyul on Wednesday, even though I haven't gotten around to it, I decided sitting in the bathtub warranted, I had time. (Yes, I'm actually just sitting in the bathtub... no reason... just bored).
     Anyway it was by far my best tiyul ever! It had a mix of every type of trip we have been on; historical site, hike, modern site, completely interesting, and relevant to today. We first went to מוזיאון מכון איילון (or Ayalon Institute), where the major Jewish defense force, Haganah, decided to put 40 people in top secret work, in an ammunitions factory. Hidden under a huge laundry machine (electric door, swinging the machine over), under a unsuspecting kibbutz, the people on this top-secret adventure helped the state of Israel to be born, by supplying the Haganah members with enough bullets to fight off enemies and win battles. The guide said that this was his favourite place in all of Israel, and I completely agreed with him. I think the underground ammunitions factory, right under the British noses at the ending of British Mandate of Palestine, is incredibly interesting and had my attention from the second we walked on the kibbutz, until we left the underground factory. The size of a tennis court, it put me in awe, realizing the bravery the workers faced... at any wrong move they could explode a bullet and endanger everyone. The immediate danger being the explosion, was worth wary, but it could also put the kibbutzniks who where unsuspecting of what was going on (called "giraffes") at the hands of the British. Everything about this place made me feel like I need to take responsibility and help my country like they did. Everything about this place made me proud to be living in Israel. It just made me feel so much about Israeli independence.
     If it wasn't clear before, this tiyul was about Israel's independence. We talked about the underground armies like Haganah (precursor to the IDF), Etzel, and even the terrorist organization Lechi. All Jewish groups, set on making a Jewish state, we saw the pride they felt for making our united people on our holy land a country. Already everything a country was, except a name, in the 40's, the UN decided to partition Israel into an Arab and Jewish State. Despite getting only desert, Jews accepted the agreement, and Arabs refused. 1947 starts the Independence War, continues through May 14th, 1948 (or Hay of Iyar), when Israel declares our selves a state, and then into November 1949, which ended the war. 
     On May 14th, 1948, in Tel-Aviv (because the road to Jerusalem is blocked off by enemy Arabs), David Ben Gurion declares us our State of Israel in Independence Hall, which was also one of the first homes built in Tel-Aviv, home to the first Mayor of Tel-Aviv, the first art gallery in Tel-Aviv, and now the first place Eretz Yisrael had Jewish Autonomy in over 2,000 years! I was completely swelled up with pride, while standing in Independence Hall.
     Later in the day, we traveled down Route 1, which was the Jerusalem Road, and pulled off. Taking a short hike, we found ourselves on the Burma Road. It was a road used to get to Jerusalem when the Arabs (in tribes and in British built fortresses) blocked the Jerusalem Road off and ambushed vehicles. It had an incredible view, as well as held a lot of importance when supplying Jerusalem during the war. 
     I can't explain as well as past blogs, the emotion I felt here, and the things I saw... but this entire tiyul was put together very, very well... I also felt soooo full of pride. Undescribable, really.
     Yom Hazikeron (Remembrance day), is tomorrow for all the veterans and fallen. One percent of Jews in Israel were killed during the Independence War, and since then, many from later wars and battles. Soon, too, is Yom Hatzmeut (Independence Day). The day after tomorrow (Memorial/Remembrance Day), in fact. I want to leave you with something during this trip that left an impression, but looking back on it, it was truly walking the Tel-Aviv streets, weaving in and out of history, that made it a big impact. So, although this blog is many random thoughts and emotions on the whole thing, I think the tiyul made me question myself. Where is my responsibility to the State of Israel? Does living here for four months fulfill it? To some it might, but the pride from way back in Gadna, all the way to Wednesday, tells me otherwise... It has been a question reoccurring to me at the most random of times, but over and over nonetheless; Where does my responsibility to my community and country begin? And where does it end, if there is such a thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment